Galleries let you manage images in groups within Nimbus.
Adding Galleries and Images
1. Start by adding a new gallery.
2. Create a gallery by giving it a title and a description. The title and description may be visible through your public site, depending on the theme you select.
3. Select a source for your photos. You can upload them from your computer, or you can get them from Pictage, Flickr or Instagram. (The latter three require you to activate integrations with those services.)
- From your computer: simply drag-and-drop them into the upload tool in Nimbus, and click "Done." Or, just click "Choose Images Manually" and navigate to them on your computer.
- From Pictage: From the two drop-down menus, select an event and then select a category from within the event. Want to add more than one category? Repeat the process with the next category..
- From Flickr: You can select from "Sets" that are defined within Flickr and add the images from that "Set" to your Nimbus gallery:
- From Instagram: Pick images from your Instagram feed to upload to a gallery in Nimbus. You can select multiple photos by clicking on them. You can de-select photos that are already selected (indicated by a blue outline) by clicking on them again. You can also use the "Select All" and "Clear Selections" buttons to select all images or deselect all images. When you're done making your selections, click "Import Images."
You can edit the Gallery Information for each gallery. In order to see the gallery information, make sure no images are selected in the images tab. If you have an image selected, deslect by clicking in the white areas outside the images.
- Sort by Title: Each image inherits a "Title" from the photos as they are added to Nimbus. The Title is the original filename of the image. Clicking "Sort by Title" will alphanumerically sort images by the title (original filename.) If you use numbers in filenames to sequence your images, sorting by title will restore the images to their original sequence.
- Private URL: Galleries are "unpublished" by default. In other words, they won't show up in the galleries page of your Nimbus site. If you want to share a gallery without publishing it, click the "Private URL" button. The unpublished URL (web address) will open in a new window. You can copy the URL and share it however you wish.
- Title: The "Title" field is used in most themes as the name of the Gallery. Keep it short and sweet!
- Description: This is a more in-depth description of the gallery. Descriptions are often used by themes in conjunction with the gallery being displayed in the theme.
- Background Music: When viewing a slideshow in a gallery you can select an audio file that will play in the background. To upload a new audio file, go to the Files tab.
- Tags: Tags are used to organize and find galleries. You can apply as many tags to a gallery as you want, and many themes will provide links to tags. Tags can indicate shoot types, locations, subject matter, vendors, etc.
- Allow comments: Do you want to allow the public to add comments to galleries? Note: Nimbus uses strong anti-spam technology to prevent spam.
- Publish Updates to my Blog: Do you want Nimbus to auto-magically create a blog entry for this gallery when it's published?
- Delete: When you delete a gallery, you delete the gallery AND all images it contains. Be careful!
- Publish: Galleries are private by default. To make them show up in your galleries page in Nimbus, you must click the "Publish" button.
- Save: This one seems pretty obvious. But use it! If you make changes to these settings, they won't be saved unless you click this button!
A "New Gallery" update posted to your blog
Appearance varies by theme.
You can also add Galleries to Sub-menu navigation. Go to Settings > Navigation, and select the Item Type Gallery. Then when you Add the item, it will appear as below!
Managing Images in Galleries
Click on a single image and you'll see information about that image in the panel on the right. Or, you can now CRTL/Shift + Click multiple images in a Gallery and apply Bulk Changes such as edit Image Information (Title, Description, Author, Tags, Comments), Delete, or Rearrange (drag and drop).
- Title: This field is populated with the original filename of the image you've added.
- Description: This field will inherit caption information from uploaded images or from Instagram.
- Author: Allows you to select the photographer who created the image from a drop down that is populated with all users from your Nimbus account.
- Background Music: This feature has been turned off on a per-image basis for Nimbus version 1.0.
- Tags: Like galleries and blog posts, you can add tags to images to organize and find galleries. You can apply as many tags to a gallery as you want, and many themes will provide links to tags. Tags can indicate shoot types, locations, subject matter, vendors, etc.
- Allow comments: Do you want to allow comments for individual images? Nimbus uses strong anti-spam technology to prevent spam.
- Cover Image: You can designate an image as the "Cover Image" for a gallery, which is used to represent the gallery on your Nimbus site.
Click the title under a thumbnail to preview it.
hi justin- small world seeing you here:)
i have uploaded images into my galleries and they have been "processing" for some time now (over an hour) is this normal? there are images that i uploaded on sunday into assets that are still "processing" but when i upload from pictage they process right away. i also cannot see images from my assests when trying to add them to my pages. HELP PLZ!
Having the same problem that Tania posted. While my Pictage images did not transfer instantly, at least they did eventually. But the image I tried to upload to assets never did appear yesterday, and today the arrows are still circling.
It's a known issue. Andrew has contacted the developer and they're looking into it. I'm sure they'll have it resolved soon.
I also noticed that when looking at Galleries in Preview, it says, "We're working away on getting our photos ready for you to view." Is that being worked on too?
I don't know about that. I did you images finish uploading and it's still giving you that message?
No, arrows are still spinning. I also tried uploading some other images into a new gallery. This time, I used the drag and drop method. It showed all 10 images uploaded, but then after I clicked, "done," the arrows started spinning and they never appeared in the gallery. So now I have both this new gallery and the assets gallery showing the spinning arrows, but no images.
i have several galleries with arrows spinning- been that way all week for me:(
I have not been able to upload any photo into my gallery. Spinning arrows on the empty galleries in the back end. "We're working away on getting our photos ready for you to view. In the meantime, check out the rest of our site." on the front end.
Tania - wow, it's been a long time! 8th grade?
I know this problem sucks. It's something that we thought we resolved in the beta but it's reared its ugly head again. Our lead Nimbus developer is working on this and it's our highest priority. We'll get it fixed! I'll make sure to keep you updated.
Adding photos from Pictage is working, but I haven't tried any of the other options. And while Pictage photos do show up on the backend, the only way to view them on the front end is to generate a private url.
Hey Christina, it looks like your site is unpublished. While Nimbus is in this state, only you can see your site. Anyone else won't be able to see anything on your site except for a notice that the site is unpublished. We're working on improving this to make it more obvious.
Once your site is published, you can then publish the galleries so they're visible on your site.
Ummm... I know it's not published, because I'm not ready to publish it! But I wont publish it until I can view it fully in PREVIEW MODE and make sure everything is working. Are you saying that the galleries will not meant to be visable in PREVIEW MODE?
i am having the exact same problems and i too do not want to publish until i can see a draft. also, when the assets gallery won't open, i cannot insert photos into "pages". it's very frustrating and makes it difficult to keep working on the nimbus site when i cannot see the way it will look.....
and when i try to view my galleries in my site it says ERROR- "Sorry, something seems to have gone wrong in handling your request. We've notified our engineers of the problem - please try again shortly."
@Christina - My apologies, I wrote that incorrectly. You do not need to publish your site to see galleries. You'll have to publish the gallery for it to be visible on your site. You *will* see it in preview mode. Sorry for the misinformation there.
@Tania - It looks like there's an issue with your assets gallery. I'm having a developer look into this for you and will let you know what they find out.
@Justin, thanks for the clarification. When I tried to publish galleries yesterday, it was erroring out, and I figured it was because the site wasn't published. But I just tried again, it published, and it is viewable in the preview. Thanks!
I am still not able to upload any images in to galleries at all. I have tried several times to upload and only receive the spinning arrow with an error message now reading Sorry, something seems to have gone wrong in handling your request. We've notified our engineers of the problem - please try again shortly."
Thanks for the additional information. We're having issues with gallery images and file uploads. The images aren't making it into Nimbus. Our dev team is researching and will resolve it as soon as they can. Thanks for your patience.
An update: The dev and ops teams have made some good progress today. They've identified the issue and making headway towards a resolution. More updates to come.
Good News: The Development and Operations team have a fix in place for uploading images and files. They're carefully monitoring the situation.
Bad News: You may have galleries that may be empty or that didn't finish populating. Take a look and try uploading again. Also, imports from Pictage might be slow for now. We plan to have some speed improvements for Pictage imports in the near future.
Thanks everyone for you patience as we sorted this out!
Thanks for the hard work!
Now what I have noticed about the gallery player itself, the function bar at the bottom is not transparent which is causing the grey bar to cover the bottom edge of the images shown. Also the landscape positioned images are not scaled correctly are the sides disappear off the sides of the player.
This does of course take away from the images, especially on all images that are create with borders. This should be an easy fix in the players image resize function to maintain aspect ratio with the images tall edge being approximately 20px shorter than the players and 10px shorted than horizontal. Either this, or convert the layer image for the bottom player bar to a transparent Fireworks .png layer in the player itself to allow for the entire image to show but the horizontal edge would still be converted incorrectly as it still be beyond the players width.
Is there any way to make it not say 'NEW GALLERY' and the date above each gallery on the site? I would like to just have the title of the gallery itself, nice and clean. I'm also hoping there will be more controls for customizing the site, something like a theme editor with CSS and HTML for those of us who also happen to be web design geeks.
Also, still having the problem with the galleries never actually processing.
Another question-is there any way to make a homepage slideshow? I would really like a full screen homepage option, that's one of my favorite features of my existing site.
when rearranging- is it possible to choose more than one image at a time?
Hello, is there any way to create sub-galleries below main galleries? Also, the image crop in the slideshow needs to be fixed. I wished I could use this site but too many things need fixing. Thanks!
Does anyone know a trick that excludes a gallery from a gallery page? I am aware that unpublishing a gallery will remove it from a gallery page but I want to keep it published so it can appear on a different gallery page. Any help would be much appreciated!